Tuesday 9 July 2013

Madiba... Man of Wisdom

I was so inspired on a recent trip to Robben Island. I have wanted to visit there many times but I don’t think there has been a more perfect moment than now, while Madiba is in hospital.



You hear about the great things people do – but from a distance. We’ve only seen the end result of many years of struggle. But I am amazed at how God works. He is precise in his decision making and selection of those called according to HIS purpose. Whether you believe in God or that He has a purpose for you or not, He has anyway – because he loves us so much. What would our lives be like if we never had a purpose or dream – if we never had something bigger than us to move us forward?

I am no expert on Nelson Mandela, and I am really only on chapter 3 of his book, “Long Walk to Freedom”, but I caught a glimpse of his heart when we stopped the tour bus on Robben Island at the Limestone mine. My heart was moved as the tour guide spoke about certain events that took place right there at that mine.

Lime Stone Quarry on Robben Island


Madiba had much time to think – and he was certainly a man who was wise and thought in depth about many things regarding life. The part of the story that touched my heart so much was a very simple thing – but more powerful than anyone can ever put in words. It’s all about restoration, bringing people everywhere together, fighting for UNITY and healing.

Many of the Freedom fighters were against the whites completely and I can only assume that even though he wanted freedom like they did his heart was different. Madiba had seen things through his life, and I just feel in my heart that God led him through circumstances in life to equip him for the change he would make in South Africa – and the impact it would have on the world. Madiba did not stand for anything but to bring unity. He realized that the only way to bring change was to teach. So he started there, in prison, building relationships with the white officers/wardens – starting a revolution in Prison. There was much restoration that took place before he left prison. He knew that the white Afrikaner only acted the way they did because they were taught that way. He wanted to change their thinking and help teach them the right way. And he succeeded. That’s what made him so great… He brought everyone together – and for those who didn’t understand – he taught through his influence – he even encouraged his comrades to join him in being a positive influence.

Mandela with his Government of National Unity cabinet ministers 

The Mandela government was a Government of National Unity and his cabinet included ministers from other political parties.


What a great example he is! Of how to bring unity – how to reach out a hand to those who do not understand, to help them cross over the boundaries of indifference and to be of the same mind and heart.

As a white South African I have been ashamed of my people’s behavior in the past – but I couldn’t be more proud of my parents who have brought me up to not see colour or treat people indifferently. I am so honoured to be a South African – to be part of a generation who didn’t grow up angry and hateful – who wasn’t brainwashed or influenced to see others as different.


Madiba! Our hero and great example! Thank-you for being such an amazing Role Model!

No comments:

Post a Comment