Wednesday 24 October 2012

Laverne Coetzee - Never Underestimate Small Beginnings...



Since I was young I've always wanted to get involved in music - in fact, I believe it is in my blood since everyone of my family members can either sing or play an instrument.But growing up we were in the unfortunate position where we did not have money to spend on anything other than the necessities, which also meant no extra-curricular activities. 

I must confess that I never made my need to play the piano vocal (as far as I can remember), so I thought I'd go for the next best thing and join any free classes that were offered at school. So, among the many classes that I joined was the choir, the orchestra and recorder classes. Many people see the recorder as an irritating instrument, I see it as God's first step for my life. On the one hand I was realizing my singing dream by singing in one of Gauteng's top school choirs and on the other hand I was making music by playing instruments (the recorder and the xylophone).

We then ended up moving to Cape Town where I decided not to join the choir, but I continued doing my recorder classes/exams until the end of my primary school. Starting High School all the musical dreams seemed to fade as everything else around me became more important.

Then, in 2007 God drew me into His family when I got saved and in the winter of 2008 I did a song item with my recorder at the church's talent show. That September month I asked my cell leader, also music director and keyboard player, to teach me how to play. Here my recorder skills came in handy as I could read music already. God prepared me for this moment!

By January 2009 I started out in the worship team and after 2 months I was put on the synthesizer and by 2010 I was the keyboard player for one of the 2 music teams.

After not wanting to open my mouth to sing in front of other people or even when I had my keyboard lessons, God gave me the confidence to volunteer to sing when we started our Young Adults Band. The doors were opened and I was now singing in the band which went "live" only 3 weeks ago - although my legs were shaky and I couldn't play properly, I knew that this is where God wanted me to be and to know that He was the one who had opened the door for me to be where I am.

Now, I do know that God isn't finished with me yet - it is just something that you feel inside and I know that He is leading me in a specific direction.

As encouragement - don't give up on the dream that God has put in your heart. It took me 16 years to get to the point where I started playing the keyboard and even longer to start singing for Him again, but it was all worth the wait - it was all in His perfect timing.



Jeremiah 29:11-13 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment