Friday 25 November 2011

The Heart of a Servant


When I was at school I always used to love run errands for teachers… Carrying messages and cleaning the classroom was my pleasure. I may have been the quietest person around but my heart longed to help my teachers and they kept asking me to assist them. I was so excited when I got awarded a certificate in front of the whole school for “helpfulness”.

(My surname was still "van Tonder" at that time - it was before my dad adopted my brother and I)

I can see how even today I am still the same. When I hear something needs to be taken care of I drop what I am doing to take care of it – no matter what the cost. I know who I am… I love to serve. Give me the vision and I will run with it!

I think we can sometimes forget to serve one another in life. Perhaps we think we have become more important than others or that our function in the workplace or ministry is more valuable than serving those who work alongside us. Imagine if I told the Worship leader we cannot do a song in “that” key just because it’s not printed on paper? How does my lack of service make that person’s task a pleasure!? I would hate to make a name for myself – “the one who is never willing to go the extra mile” or “the one to whom it’s always an issue to change some chords”.

I love seeing those I serve happy… especially when I made their vision come to pass like they imagined in their mind.

I grew up listening to Psalty Kids Praise – they sang a song on one of their albums and the words went, “If you want to be great in God’s Kingdom, learn to be a servant of all”. That song still sticks with me and is a good reminder every now and again when I lose sight of what’s important… We tend to think those who give the vision and run the team are the important ones but they are also in service... service to Christ!

Jesus was and still is an amazing servant to us. Every time we open our mouths and ask him for help – He is always there – never turning his back or giving us attitude because he is tired of answering our prayers or meeting our needs… His love is pure and because His love is pure – His service is pure!


Philippians 2:5-7
Amplified Bible (AMP)

5Let this same attitude and purpose and [humble] mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus: [Let Him be your example in humility:]

    6Who, although being essentially one with God and in the form of God [[a]possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God], did not [b]think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped [c]or retained,

    7But stripped Himself [of all privileges and [d]rightful dignity], so as to assume the guise of a servant (slave), in that He became like men and was born a human being.  


So let me encourage you… Do not get weary in doing good – for at the appointed time you will reap a great harvest – God see’s your efforts and more so your heart – serve Him with all your might and He will bless you with even more… and if you never get the Praise or Thanks for what you do and it annoys or "hurts" you - perhaps you should take time out to ask yourself if your service is truly "to serve" or to self-promote! Our motives determine our rewards in eternity - not our actions...

No comments:

Post a Comment